Saturday, December 15, 2007

Sewing, snow, etc.

I'm busy sewing today...and today is a good day to sew. I posted pictures of some flannel back on Aug. 30, 2007. I'm trying to finish up my second and last flannel rag quilt for Christmas. This is for my 25yr. old DS who is a rocket scientist. Please note that I was able to find fabric with the word "rocket" on it and he has always been fascinated by planes. I know it is kiddie prints, but this quilt is for him to lay on the floor while he watches tv, drag up and down the stairs....whatever....so it will be washed often. It isn't meant to be a pretty item, it is meant to be a utility item. Here's one block.

It is 16" square. I sewed 23 of them in one night. The pattern is "Wicked Easy Quilt" which I found on the Internet for free. I tried going to the web page again and keep getting a message that the document contains no data. I would love to link you to the website, but I can't even get there. Anyway, the pattern should be credited to Annette Unrein. I will continue to try and if I can get to the website, I will post the link.

I'm going to post some more weather pics! This was out my sewing room window on Tuesday. See the icicles hanging from the roof! I'm not real good a photography, but I try. Sorry the picture isn't better.
Take a look at the trees too!
At least we were lucky to not have it as bad as the people about 50 miles north in St. Joseph MO. They got blasted! Many have been without power almost a week now.

We actually had sun and melting on Thursday. I went out of the house shopping for the first time since Dec. 5! I only did the grocery store and library and the crowds were so awful, I came back home because I hate crowds...especially when people are rushing and rude. Then last night, it started snowing again and is suppose to continue until around 7 pm tonight. So, this is the scene out my back window today.
And for a change....here's a picture from my front porch. Notice the brick house across the street. If you enlarge the picture and look near the peak of their roof, you can see the lovely "KC Arrowhead". That thing lights up along with icicles lights all along their roof. The icicles lights look nice, but I think that arrowhead is soooo tacky....but I guess they do love their KC Chiefs. They have done that every year for the 6 years we have lived here. It's an older retired couple and I guess they think it is cute. Different strokes for different folks. I tried being friendly to them after we moved in. I would speak to the man when I was out working in my yard and he was out too. He would make a sound that is just a grunt and walk away. Finally I stopped trying. I know he can talk because I hear him scream at the neighbor's dog. His wife isn't friendly either. Does anyone else have overly unfriendly neighbors like that????

Now, something a little more pleasant, I'm going to show you my Christmas tree. I did a very small artificial since we will be with our kids for most of the holidays. Sorry the picture is a little blurry.

The big box in the background is the table I finished for DS. I was going to post a picture of the set finished and nicely staged, but DH took it apart and put it into the box before I could. I will try to get a picture when we put it together at DS's apartment. And for my last picture today, I'll show you my nutcrackers that I always put out somewhere in my house. This year I put them on the mantle.
You can also see the wooden tree that I finished when I was working on the table and chairs. I decided to just sit it on a doily I crocheted along with the nutcrackers. I didn't notice the safety glasses when I snapped the picture. DH uses this mantle as his "dumping ground" when he comes in from work. Then he conveniently forgets to pickup after himself!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I love blue and yellow together so I'm sure this quilt will be geat when done. I've never used flannel - not much choice here. Love the nutcrackers !