Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Still no sewing

I've read on lots of other people's blogs that they are in a stitching slump, so I realize I'm not the only one. I have started the second of 4 blocks for the wallhanging I'm doing, but I haven't made enough progress to really share a picture of it. A few evenings this week I have been working on something to use up some small bits and pieces of crochet thread and yarn. Here's what I've been doing.
Some of my plastic hangers have been breaking. I've had these wire hangers stored on top of a cabinet for years and since I am trying to eliminate as much plastic as possible from my house...I thought I would get these wire hangers down and start using them. My husband's grandmother use to cover all of her hangers using using a heavy rug yarn. That was back in the day before plastic hangers were ever made! I learned how to do it from her. I thought I would use some of the crochet cotton that I have on hand to do mine. By doing that, I would be using up bits and pieces and would be covering the wire hangers so they wouldn't leave rust on any of our clothing. The next picture is a close up of the 2 hangers that I covered with bedspread weight crochet cotton.
And in the photo above....I used the heavier cotton knitting yarn that was left from knitting some dish rags. These were actually fun to do....and I'm recycling!

I have been spending a lot of time watering and caring for my outdoor plants. I don't have a garden in my yard, but I do have a container garden on my patio. I have been enjoying a few tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers. Mmmm! Those homegrown tomatoes taste so much better than anything bought in the store.
If you enlarge the picture, you might be able to see my tomatoes and peppers. This is my area where I also try to attract hummingbirds. They love the bright red pentas. They also like the lantana. If you don't have lantana in your area....it's the solid yellow plant on the left and the variegated yellow and orange plant in the center. You can also see my small pot of herbs in the right front of the photo. I planted spicy basil, Greek oregano, parsley and a yellow marigold in that pot. I have made spaghetti sauce using those fresh herbs and it was wonderful.

Thanks for stopping by to see what I'm up to...and for taking a look at my patio garden.

2 comments:

Amelia said...

Oh I remember making these covered clothes hanges. Only I did not crochet - it was more of a macrame type of method of putting the yarm on the hanger. Then when finished we would put a pom-pom ball on it. Oh such memories of long ago...

I agree home grown tomatoes taste so much better. We have a fair sized garden so have been enjoying the tomatoes also. We are not pepper lovers so did not plant any of them.

have a fun week.

Amelia

Norma said...

Glad to hear that you are getting in some of your "crops".

We have lantana out by the pool. It gets a little stressed about this time of year but recovers nicely. I love the variegated one.