Thursday, January 24, 2008

Thread...

Since I showed my sewing kit, I thought I would also show how I store and carry my threads that I use for applique. If I am hand piecing with a cotton thread, I always just toss the spool in my little clear sewing box that I showed in my previous post. It's no problem putting one spool in my little box! But when I am working with applique, that's a different matter.

Applique usually requires me to carry a variety of colors. In some of my earlier posts, I've shown you this applique medallion I have been working on. You can see I have several different colors in this piece.









I carry the thread I'm working with in a little plastic pencil box I got for $0.25. There is also a white marking pencil in there.









I can slide it closed and there is a snap to keep it shut.




I keep the rest of the threads that I use for applique in a clear bag that one of my friends gave me. Here's that bag. I use ziploc snack bags inside this to put the various colors in. Putting them in those little bags keeps them nice and neat.









I know there is lots of controversy about what type of thread one should use to do applique. Some people say they would only use cotton, while others say they would only use silk. They each justify why they think their chosen thread is the best. I say, use what works for you and what you like. That's what I do.

I'm going to tell you about my preferences. I don't want anyone to think they have to like what I do. After all, we are different individuals; therefore we may like different things! :-)

I use mostly 50wt. machine embroidery cotton. I have Mettler, Gutterman, and DMC in my cotton collection. I like the DMC best, but it is hard to find and the color selection is limited. I prefer cotton because I personally do not like the slipperiness of silk thread. I find I can make my stitches just as invisible with cotton as I can with silk. However, I do have a few spools of YLI 100wt. silk thread in neutral colors. If I do not have a close color match in cotton thread, then I use silk in one of the neutral colors. I find the color I use most frequently in silk thread is... taupe.

I hope you have enjoyed looking at how I store some of my supplies. I like looking at what others use....and I'm always willing to try something new that may be better than what I currently do.


4 comments:

dot said...

Great quilt top. I like how you store and carry your thread, great idea.

~Bren~ said...

Wow what a great idea. For the masterpiece block I have about 15 different threads in a clear shoe box. What a mess.

Anonymous said...

I love your pencil box storage idea! I'll have to bring a spool of thread with me when I go shopping today (I use the same long skinny spools for applique). Thank you for sharing that!

Darlene said...

The pencil box is a terrific idea! I'll have to check those out next time I'm out and about. I use Mettler embroidery thread for hand applique, too. I don't like the slipperiness of silk thread either. I love DMC but it's very difficult to find.

Thanks for sharing your ideas and thoughts, Belvie!